Can you believe it’s March already?! The focus of this year’s Nutrition Month campaign is Best Food Forward: Plan Shop Cook Enjoy, which focuses on navigating the grocery store (a place where we’re all faced with an abundance of choices!).
Here are some tips on shopping for just one or two people.
1. Plan wisely- Plan ahead so you know what you’ll be eating and can make a grocery list before you head to the grocery store.
2. Cook from scratch- This way you can prepare the exact number of servings you need.
3. Shop in bulk- But remember to only buy items that you need.
4. Shop as a team- Grocery shop with a friend so you can split bulk items and take advantage of volume discounts (think ‘buy one get one free’) while avoiding waste.
5. Buy only what you need- Try splitting a bunch of bananas (they always seem to go brown so fast!), buying smaller packages of eggs, and asking the butcher to split packages of meat.
6. Be wary of coupons- This tip aligns with #3 & 5… it’s only a deal if you actually need what you’re buying!
Adapted from: Dietitians of Canada. (2013) http://www.dietitians.ca/Downloadable-Content/Public/NM2013_Factsheet_1_Englsih_C.aspx