Here are some ideas to help keep your grocery bill close to nil. ;)
1. Shop the sales- Check flyers and coupons. You can even find these online these days!
2. Stock up when there’s a great deal- Buy extra staple items that have long shelf lives, such as whole grains, dried legumes, and canned fruits and veggies. Fresh meat, poultry and fish can be frozen.
3. Don’t forget the clearance section
4. Compare prices- Check for differences between various brands. Store or “no name” brands are usually cheaper.
5. Avoid shopping on an empty stomach- You’re more likely to pick up extra items when you’re hungry!
Adapted from: Dietitians of Canada (www.dietitians.ca)