Thursday, March 7, 2013
Happy Nutrition Month!
Here are some tips on shopping for just one or two people.
1. Plan wisely- Plan ahead so you know what you’ll be eating and can make a grocery list before you head to the grocery store.
2. Cook from scratch- This way you can prepare the exact number of servings you need.
3. Shop in bulk- But remember to only buy items that you need.
4. Shop as a team- Grocery shop with a friend so you can split bulk items and take advantage of volume discounts (think ‘buy one get one free’) while avoiding waste.
5. Buy only what you need- Try splitting a bunch of bananas (they always seem to go brown so fast!), buying smaller packages of eggs, and asking the butcher to split packages of meat.
6. Be wary of coupons- This tip aligns with #3 & 5… it’s only a deal if you actually need what you’re buying!
Adapted from: Dietitians of Canada. (2013) http://www.dietitians.ca/Downloadable-Content/Public/NM2013_Factsheet_1_Englsih_C.aspx